Ministry of Transportation
We are seeking an exceptional leader with expertise in pavement management and highway construction to take on the position of Head, Geotechnical. In this role, you will oversee the Geotechnical Section in the East region, responsible for providing specialized technical services related to pavement evaluation, design, and rehabilitation, as well as rockfall hazard management and the preservation of crucial engineering materials for the provincial highway network.
If you are a dynamic leader with a passion for infrastructure development and the drive to make a lasting impact, we want to hear from you. Join us in shaping the future of transportation in Ontario!
The Transportation Infrastructure Management Division leads the development of policies and standards for managing Ontario’s highway network. This encompasses investment planning and strategies, contract management, operational issues, and standards for the design, construction, and maintenance of highways.
The Geotechnical Section provides support to the Engineering and Operations Offices and actively contributes to the development of new technologies and specifications for highway construction materials. The section also collaborates with various agencies, contractors, and consultants. It is responsible for managing and designing pavement infrastructure.
For more information, visit us at: Ministry of Transportation
Why work for the Ontario Public Service?
The Ontario Public Service (OPS) is committed to being an employer of first choice, creating a positive and inclusive work environment. We offer:
• A defined benefit pension plan
• Maternity and parental leave top-up benefits which includes adoptive parents
• Comprehensive Health Plan
• Life and Disability insurance
• Flexible work arrangements
• Collegial and professional work culture
• Career growth and development opportunities across multiple business areas
• On-the-job training to support your success in the role.
OPS Commitment to Diversity, Inclusion, Accessibility, and Anti-Racism:
The OPS is an innovative, responsive and accountable public service that works hard to be diverse, anti-racist, inclusive, merit-based, and equitable. Diversifying leadership is a top priority for the OPS. Our goal is to achieve parity with the Ontario labour force by 2025 for the most under-represented groups (Indigenous, racialized and persons with disabilities) on our leadership teams.
The OPS invites all interested individuals to apply. As an organization that promotes equity and diversity, the OPS encourages applications from Indigenous, Black, racialized individuals, and persons with disabilities.
The OPS is an accessible employer and we offer accommodation in all aspects of employment, including the recruitment process.
Visit the OPS Anti-Racism Policy, the OPS Diversity and Inclusion Blueprint, and the Multi-Year Accessibility Plan to learn more about the OPS commitment to advancing racial equity, accessibility, diversity and inclusion in the public service.
What can I expect to do in this role?
In this management role, you will:
• Provide leadership and technical expertise to a team of specialists delivering geotechnical services for the evaluation, design and rehabilitation of highway pavement systems.
• Plan and coordinate the annual pavement condition evaluation program.
• Oversee the acquisition of engineering consulting services to meet Ministry program delivery requirements.
• Partner with head office to implement and develop new technologies, products and practices for pavement management and highway construction.
• Participate in management and technical committees focused on highway infrastructure management.
How do I qualify?
• You must be licensed by the Professional Engineers of Ontario (PEO).
Strategic Leadership Skills
• You have strategic leadership and management skills to provide leadership to a diverse, multi-disciplined team and oversee and schedule work in accordance with corporate and divisional priorities.
• You have a dedication for developing, building and leading organizational capacity through inclusive, positive, and values based leadership in areas of organizational design, recruitment, talent and performance management and labour relations matters.
• You have the ability to be responsible for the overall compliance with legislative statutes, collective agreements, government and ministry policies, directives, guidelines and commitments related services.
• You have sound judgement and political acuity skills to provide authoritative advice and guidance to senior management.
• You have demonstrated the leadership behaviors, attributes and mindsets to lead the OPS into the future.
Technical Knowledge and Skills
• You have demonstrated knowledge of the theory, principles and practices of geotechnical engineering in soil mechanics, pavement design, highway construction, highway maintenance and laboratory testing.
• You understand related engineering fields such as highway planning, design, maintenance and operations.
• You have knowledge of the standards and specifications related to pavement reconstruction and rehabilitation and associated engineering materials (i.e. quality assurance specifications and procedures).
Communication and Relationship Management Skills
• You have excellent consultation, negotiation, communication and presentation skills to promote consensus, negotiate agreements, provide advice and information as well as make presentations and prepare reports.
• You have the ability to establish effective working relationships with colleagues, associates, senior officials, developers and the public.
• You have advanced knowledge and techniques for managing stakeholders, including communicating with senior government officials, managers, industry representatives, field staff, contractors staff and other ministries.
Program Management Skills
• You have prior knowledge with budgetary and financial processes to prepare, implement fiscal and performance budgets, multi-year and annual work plans, and monitor/report on budget allocations.
• You have excellent planning, organizational and project management skills to plan and coordinate work plans and resources, establish performance measures and assess effectiveness.
• You can assess work techniques and methods, industrial products and material requirements and ensure the use of current technology and testing techniques.
Tools and Resoueces
*Check out the Manager Recruitment Unit’s Application Preparation Guide for Aspiring Managers for tips on creating an impactful application!
To apply for this job please visit www.gojobs.gov.on.ca.