Plans and executes appropriate early childhood education experiences with a variety of material to promote the healthy emotional, social, intellectual, and physical development of each child. Works with the director and teachers in developing and implementing age-appropriate curriculum and activities. Helps establish a program environment that promotes positive child and youth interactions with other children, youth, and adults. Assists in providing and leading planned activities for program participants. Interacts with children and youth using approved child guidance and youth development techniques. Interacts professionally with staff members, parents, and the command. Assists in maintaining program participation data and completing required daily reports.
Helps prepare, arrange, and maintain indoor and outdoor activity areas and materials to accommodate daily schedule. Monitors children in the classroom, on the playground, in hallways and restrooms. Maintains control of and accounts for whereabouts and safety of children at all times. Helps arrange for/serve appropriate snacks/meals where applicable.
Performs routine care giving tasks, helping with materials and activities, receiving children, interacting with children, and attending to the children’s physical needs. Ensures care is provided in accordance with standards, assists in planning, and conducting activities, conducts health checks, ensures the safety and well-being of children, completes reports, and interacts with parents; performs other related duties as assigned.
Conditions of Employment
OTHER ESSENTIAL INFORMATION:
- Selected will be required to participate in Direct Deposit/Electronic Funds Transfer as the Standard method of payment for payroll and travel purposes.
- Males born after 12/31/59 and at least 18 years of age must be registered with the Selective Service System, unless covered by an exemption under the Selective Service Law, in accordance with 5 U.S. Code 3378. Selectee will be required to provide a written statement regarding his registration status unless he is exempted by this statute.
- Federal Background Check is Mandatory.
US Citizens and non-citizens authorized to work in the US, must have lived in the US for three of the last five years, and meet residency requirements set forth below:
- Resided in the United States or its protectorate or territories (excluding short trips abroad, such as vacations).
- Worked for the United States government as an employee overseas in a Federal or military capacity; or
- Have been a dependent of a United States Federal or military employee serving overseas.
Exceptions may be granted to applicants if they can provide complete stateside coverage information required to make a suitability/security determination. Applicants must provide this information with their application for employment.
- High school diploma or GED certificate.
- One year of general experience working with children. working in a group program with children and/or youth.
- Possess and maintain the physical ability to lift and carry 45+ pounds, walk, bend, and stoop and stand on a routine basis to include sitting and rising from floor. Duties may involve working both indoors and outdoors.
Preferred (in addition to the minimum):
- Two (2) years of education above the High School level, which includes twelve (12)- semester hours of college credit in early childhood/elementary/secondary/special education, child/youth development, psychology, human development, youth program administration or related behavioral sciences or a One (1) year vocational certificate in childcare.
Please read the “Qualifications” section.
USCG COMMUNITY SERVICES COMMAND COMPREHENSIVE BENEFITS:
By choosing to work for the Coast Guard Community Services Command, you will enjoy one of the best benefit packages available anywhere:
- Paid Annual and Sick Leave
- Holiday Pay
- Medical/Dental/Vision Insurance
- Flexible/Dependent Spending Account
- Pension Plan
- 401k Savings Plan
- Life Insurance
- Short Term/Long Term Disability
- Tuition Assistance
- Paid Parental Leave
*Benefit offerings are subject to applicable worker categories (Full-time, Part-time, Intermittent), location, position, and length of time in service.
Additional Information on how you will be evaluated:
Your resume/application must demonstrate the required experience/education. Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through the National Service programs (e.g., professional, philanthropic, religious, spiritual, community, student, social, committee, sports, internships). Volunteer work helps build critical competencies, knowledge, and skills and can provide valuable training and leadership experience that translates directly to paid employment. Your resume is the key means we have for evaluating your skills, knowledge, and abilities as they relate to this position. Therefore, we encourage you to be clear and specific when describing your experience.
You MUST submit a resume or any other written format in English of your choice which clearly identifies: (1) The announcement number, title and pay band of the job you are applying for, and, (2) Information such as full name; mailing address; country of citizenship (U.S. Citizenship required OR valid authorization to work in the US); highest Federal grade or NAF pay band held with job series, title, and dates held (if applicable); a statement requiring proof of veterans’ preference by means of DD 214; education; and relevant work experience including start/end dates, supervisor’s name and phone number, salary and title, series and grade if experience was with a non-appropriated fund instrumentality of the Federal government. You must also include a copy of your most recent performance appraisal if you are a current Federal or NAF employee. Applications may not be sent in franked Government envelopes; applications filed in this fashion will not receive consideration. If information is not complete, you may be excluded from consideration. The first application and/or resume submitted for a specific requisition will be considered the only submission. Any duplicate submissions to the same requisition will not be considered. The application date will be used in determining these factors.
Outside Candidates: To apply, please visit our website at https://shopcgx.com/ and click on “Careers” at the bottom of the page.
Internal Candidates: Sign into ADP Workforce now. Click on Myself/Talent/Career Center.
Search by location or Job Title for:
Child Care Assistant PT 5281
New London, CT, US
Equal Employment Opportunity: All candidates will be considered without regard to any non-merit factor such as race, color, religion, sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability, or marital status.
PRIVACY ACT NOTICE
Authority: The U.S. Coast Guard rates applicants under the authority of Title 5 of U.S. Code, Sections 301, 1104, 1302, 2103, 3301, 3304, Executive Order 9397, and Departmental Regulations.
Principal Purpose: To collect information needed to determine how well an applicant’s education and work experience qualify them for the job they are applying for.
Routine Use: This information provided will be shared with the hiring manager and interview panel members. It may also be shared in response to a request for discovery or for appearance of a witness, information that is relevant to the subject matter involved in a pending judicial or administrative proceeding.
Disclosure: Voluntary, however failure to disclose requested information may result in an applicant not receiving consideration for a position in which the information is needed.
Paperwork Reduction Act Statement: An agency may not conduct or sponsor an information collection and a person is not required to respond to this information unless it displays a current valid OMB control number and an expiration date. The control number for this collection is OMB 1625-new, expiration 01/30/2025. The estimated average time to complete this application is 40 minutes. If you have any comments regarding the burden estimate you can write to U.S. Coast Guard, Community Services Command, 510 Independence Parkway, Suite 500, Chesapeake, VA 23320.