THIS IS A NATIONAL GUARD TITLE 5 EXCEPTED SERVICE POSITION WITH NO MILITARY REQUIREMENT.
This National Guard position is for a BUDGET ANALYST, Position Description Number PDT5153000 and is part of the Mississippi National Guard.
Clarification from the agency
Restricted to current onboard Federal Technicians employed by the Mississippi Army National Guard.
As a BUDGET ANALYST, GS-0560-11, you will provide management oversight and guidance to the budget formulation and execution process.
1. Provides management oversight to the budget process, including planning, programming, budgeting, allocation and execution of funds. Reviews annual appropriation and authorization legislation to determine congressional intent. Reviews and interprets higher headquarters’ orders, guidelines and directives, and policies and precedents to assess impact on State programs. Prepares budget requests consistent with guidance issued by NGB. Advises Program Managers (PMs) on the appropriate use of discretionary funds consistent with fiscal law. (30%)
2. Certifies funds and coordinates the receipt of Funding Authorizations Documents (FADS) for the state ARNG Comptroller. Develops, coordinates and distributes Funding Allocation Targets to division and PM accounts using the State Automated Budget System and the State Accounting and Reservation System. Produces monthly reports and summary reports on annual funding programs and allotment for these accounts to PMs, senior management, the Chief of Staff, the Adjutant General (AG) and NGB. Responsible for the budgetary planning and programming timetables for new and modified programs, deployments, and mobilizations for the state ARNG. Develops processes and guidance in unique situations without specific guidance. (20%)
3. Prepares quarterly resource management reports, monthly analysis of financed orders in relation to forecasting expenses and provides narrative explanation of the causes of variances between actual and budget objectives. Develops supplemental guidance and instructions for operating officials on the preparation and submission of budget estimates and ensures a comparable level of funding to estimates and requests. (20%)
4. Reviews transactions including reservations, obligations, and disbursements based on interpretation of laws, regulations, or policy. Responsible for reprogramming and migration of congressional interest program funds based on Program Budget Advisory Committee (PBAC) decisions and changing needs of various organizations. Prepares requests to NGB for budget activity transfers directed by the AG and the PBAC. Trains ARNG personnel in budget and financial management principles, techniques, responsibilities, distribution, and accounting for federal funds. Upon mobilization, makes recommendations on obtaining resources; and computes budget requirements. (10%)
5. Provides technical budgetary advice and assistance to federal and state agencies as requested. Works with other Department of Defense (DoD) components to establish business practices to enhance mission accomplishment. Serves as the budgetary primary point of contact for issues relating to the Master Cooperative Agreements. (10%)
6. Independently develops and implements guidelines and policies as well as management controls for effective budget execution. Exercises primary oversight of program manager appointments and delegations of authority. (10%)
6. Performs other duties as assigned.
Conditions of Employment
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT & NOTES:
1. Must be able to obtain and maintain the appropriate security clearance of the position.
2. Ability to establish effective professional working relationships with coworkers and customers, contributing to a cooperative working environment and successful accomplishment of the mission.
3. Irregular and/or overtime (compensatory) hours may be required to support operational requirements or contingencies or may be required to work hours outside of the normal duty day.
4. Wear of the military uniform is prohibited while in technician status.
5. Participation in direct deposit is mandatory.
6. For positions requiring the operation of motor vehicles, candidates must have a valid state driver’s license.
7. As a basis of continued Title 5 Excepted Service employment/appointment to a GS-0560 position, the employee must meet the DoD directed civilian financial management certifications for the Budget Analysis position within two years of initial hire date or promotion appointment date.
8.The NG Title 5 Excepted Service Budget Analysis employee must complete all required Financial Management Certification continuing education and training hours; and, the employee, along with his or her applicable supervisor, must document and manage the employee’s Individual Development Plan.
: The following qualification factors are applicable to the budget analysis positions:
- Skilled in collecting and analyzing data effectively, efficiently, and accurately;
- Ability to plan and coordinate difficult and complex programs;
- Ability to develop, apply, and adjust financial plans and policies to attain agency objectives;
- Ability to select, develop, and supervise a subordinate staff;
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships, not only with subordinate staff, but with all levels of key management officials, the latter particularly requiring the exercise of tact, ingenuity, and resourcefulness;
- Skilled in presenting formal training presentations and briefings; and,
- Ability to make oral and written presentations in a clear and concise manner;
- Ability to apply a high level of sound and independent judgment in the solution of financial problems and in the administration of a financial management program;
- Skilled in applying procedures and directives by reading and interpreting program material.
- Knowledge of agency operating programs;
- Knowledge of financial principles, methods, techniques, and systems;
- Ability to clearly enunciate English without impediment of speech that would interfere or prohibit effective communication;
- Ability to write English in reports and presentation formats;
- Ability to communicate clearly and effectively;
- Skilled in training, mentoring, and problem solving; and,
- Skilled in applying procedures and directives by reading and interpreting program material.
SPECIALIZED EXPERIENCE: To qualify as a minimal entry level for the GS-0560-11 position, the candidate must be eligible for entry into the position’s financial management certification career program based before final approval and appointment is processed. A candidate must have at least 24 months of finance budget experiences and competencies that provided knowledge of financial NG principles and procedures. Candidate must have an excellent understanding of the basic principles and concepts of the National Guard financial budget business program requirements. A candidate must have experiences and training that demonstrate the competencies to follow directions, to read, retain, and understand a variety of instructions, regulations, policies and procedures.
If your resume does not include a narrative description of how you meet the GENERAL, SPECIALIZED experiences, and OTHER requirements, you may lose consideration for this position. Ensure that the Questionnaire is completed online in Application Manager.
NOTES TO CANDIDATES:
a. Include any volunteer work experience in your resume. Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional, philanthropic, religious, spiritual, community, student, social).
b. Final selection will be based upon qualifications, suitability, and available manpower resources.
c. Multiple vacancies may be filled from this announcement.
d. If this announcement results in a temporary promotion for the selectee, it may become permanent at any time without further competition dependent on funding and manpower requirements.
Must have a high school diploma or general education development (GED) diploma. An undergraduate degree and/or a post graduate degree from an accredited college/university in NG finance; -or- in a combination of the following required disciplines: Accounting, business, finance, economics, industrial management, marketing, quantitative methods, or organizational management is optimum.
You must provide transcripts or other documentation to support your Educational claims.
A career with the U.S. government provides employees with a comprehensive benefits package. As a federal employee, you and your family will have access to a range of benefits that are designed to make your federal career very rewarding. Opens in a new windowLearn more about federal benefits.
Review our benefits
Eligibility for benefits depends on the type of position you hold and whether your position is full-time, part-time or intermittent. Contact the hiring agency for more information on the specific benefits offered.
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
Once the announcement has closed, your resume and supporting documentation will be used to determine if you meet the qualifications listed on this announcement. If you are minimally qualified, your resume and supporting documentation will be compared to your responses on the assessment questionnaire to determine your level of experience. If you rate yourself higher than is supported by your application package, your responses may be adjusted and/or you may be excluded from consideration for this position. If you are found to be among the top qualified candidates, you will be referred to the selecting official for employment consideration.
To apply for this position, you must submit a complete Application Package which includes:
Your resume MUST BE IN PDF document format. The resume maybe submitted in any writing format but must support the specialized experience described in this announcement. To avoid plagiarism, DO NOT copy and paste the positions description or qualifications from this announcement into your resume.
If your resume includes a photograph or other inappropriate material or content, it will not be used to make eligibility and qualification determinations and you may not be considered for this vacancy.
For qualifications determinations your resume must contain SALARIES, HOURS WORKED PER WEEK, AND THE DATES OF EMPLOYMENT FOR EACH JOB.
$55,000 per year; 40 hours per week, January 2001-July 2009 or January 2001-present.
If your resume does not contain this information, your application will be marked as incomplete and you will not receive consideration for this position.
2. SF 50
To verify your eligibility, you must submit a copy of your Notification of Personnel Action, Standard Form 50 (SF 50) reflecting your Tenure in Block 24 (1 or 2). Do NOT submit an award SF 50, Tenure Change, or a General Adjustment SF-50 for proof of Time in Grade. Current MSNG applicants can verify your eligibility, by retrieving a copy of your Notification of Personnel Action, Standard Form 50 (SF 50) from MyBiz, https://compo.dcpds.cpms.osd.mil OR eOPF, https://eopf.opm.gov/nationalguard/. Please do not call Agency for a copy of your SF-50.
3. COPIES OF TRANSCRIPTS
You must provide transcripts or other documentation to support your educational claims. To receive credit for education, you must provide documentation of proof that you meet the education requirements for this position.
If you are unable to provide the required documents, it is your responsibility to inform the hiring agency before the job closes. Incomplete applications will not be considered.
If you are relying on your education to meet qualification requirements:
Education must be accredited by an accrediting institution recognized by the U.S. Department of Education in order for it to be credited towards qualifications. Therefore, provide only the attendance and/or degrees from
schools accredited by accrediting institutions recognized by the U.S. Department of Education.
Failure to provide all of the required information as stated in this vacancy announcement may result in an ineligible rating or may affect the overall rating.
To apply for this position, you must complete the online application/Occupational Questionnaire and submit the documentation specified in the Required Documents section below. To view the Occupational Questionnaire, click the following link: https://apply.usastaffing.gov/ViewQuestionnaire/12258405~
A complete application package must be submitted by 11:59 PM (EST) on the closing date of the announcement to receive consideration.
To begin, click Apply to access the online application. You will need to be logged into your USAJOBS account to apply. If you do not have a USAJOBS account, you will need to create one before beginning the application.
Follow the prompts to select your resume and/or other supporting documents to be included with your application package. You will have the opportunity to upload additional documents to include in your application before it is submitted. Your uploaded documents may take several hours to clear the virus scan process.
After acknowledging you have reviewed your application package, complete the Include Personal Information section as you deem appropriate and click to continue with the application process.
You will be taken to the online application which you must complete in order to apply for the position. Complete the online application, verify the required documentation is included with your application package, and submit the application.
To verify the status of your application, log into your USAJOBS account (https://my.usajobs.gov/Account/Login), all of your applications will appear on the Welcome screen. The Application Status will appear along with the date your application was last updated. For information on what each Application Status means, visit: https://www.usajobs.gov/Help/how-to/application/status/.
Once your online application is submitted you will receive a confirmation notification by email. Your application will be evaluated by the Human Resources Office to determine your eligibility for the position. After the evaluation is complete, you will receive another notification regarding the status of your application.